Job Title: Data Officer
Reports to: Head of Strategic Development and Impact
Location: Old Street, London
Terms: 5 days per week (37.5 hours)
Contract: Fixed Term Contract – 3 years (January 2020 until December 2022)
Closing Date: 5th December 2019
Founded in 2015, Breaking Barriers is a fast-paced, start-up charity with a mission to help refugees in London gain the knowledge, confidence and experience to secure stable and fulfilling employment in their new home.
We offer effective and flexible employment support in direct partnership with businesses that help refugees secure work, progress into better jobs, and successfully integrate into UK society. We have a unique approach, working with corporate partners to help refugees develop careers that match their skills, experience and aspirations.
Since Breaking Barriers’ inception just four years ago, we have grown to support in excess of 500 refugees per year and have ambitious plans to expand this as part of our strategic plan. We concentrate on getting things done in a flexible environment where everyone is encouraged to take ownership and contribute.
We are a team of over 20 employees supported by several hundred volunteers, who are all driven and committed to helping London’s refugee community. We are looking for similarly driven and ambitious individuals keen to join an enterprising organisation where they can benefit from the opportunity to innovate and shape the direction of the charity. Colleagues who thrive are passionate, driven and have the confidence to work autonomously while remaining team players and sharing credit with all involved.
We are looking for someone who lives and breathes our values:
- Mission-led: our clients come before everything else.
- Welcoming: we want all people to feel happy, comfortable and secure with us.
- Collaborative: we are supportive and considerate, curiously exploring other viewpoints to find solutions.
- Enterprising: we are discerningly bold, entrepreneurial and have the courage to give things a go.
Catalyst – supporting integration across the capital
Breaking Barriers applied to the Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF) to support the ‘Catalyst’ project which offers employment and training support to Third Country National (TCN) clients in London.
Catalyst will support 600 TCN clients over three years, providing bespoke employment support, English language and IT training as well as access to skills-based workshops in collaboration with our corporate partners.
The project will also include a skills audit and data analysis for development of a National Best Practice guide in employment support for TCN clients as well as regular stakeholder events to share knowledge and learning with the private, public and third sector.
Overall Purpose of the Role
Your primary responsibility will be to support the Head of Strategic Development and Impact with the creation and implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) tools for the Catalyst project, as well as data management and analysis support across the organisation to support reporting and input into the National Best Practice guide. The Catalyst project is new to Breaking Barriers, and therefore we expect the responsibilities of the Data Officer role to change and grow in line with the programme development.
The Data Officer will work closely with the Catalyst Project Manager and Administrator as well as the Project delivery team to develop effective data collection processes.
Breaking Barriers is a data driven charity, which puts M&E at the core of our delivery and considers data evidence as the foundation of responsible decision making. Your role involves:
- Updating Breaking Barriers’ M&E processes to include all data requirements from the Catalyst project.
- Work closely with the Project Manager, Project Administrator and Head of Strategy and Impact to produce yearly public facing reports on the Catalyst project.
- Contribute to the development of the skills audit and data analysis to inform production of a National Best Practice guide in employment support for TCN clients.
- Gather evidence on sector-specific data needs.
- Analyse data on TCN demographics, employment needs and outcomes information.
- Supporting with coordinating with external stakeholders to ensure we are collecting data to inform stakeholder information sharing activities.
- Lead on the maintenance of Breaking Barriers’ data management processes, including organising updates to the Zoho CRM and identifying areas for automation of data input tasks.
- Contributing to regular programme reviews through the analysis and interpretation of Breaking Barriers’ M&E data.
- Regularly reviewing the organisation’s M&E processes and collaborating with the delivery team to implement improvements to the methodology.
- Working across teams to ensure all employees are data literate and are able to interpret Breaking Barriers data to the benefit of their programmes.
- Responding to internal requests for data analysis to feed into improvements in delivery methodology, programme reporting, and awareness raising externally.
- Taking the initiative to identify interesting themes within Breaking Barriers’ data, which will feed into programme design and the strategic direction of the charity.
- Developing factsheets and short reports presenting analysis findings back to the team and, where appropriate, external audiences.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Breaking Barriers particularly welcomes applicants with experience of migration and/or a refugee background.