Breaking Barriers is a fast-paced, start-up charity with a mission to help refugees in London gain the knowledge, confidence and experience to secure stable and fulfilling employment in their new home. We are recruiting for a Volunteer Manager with 3+ years experience of volunteer programmes, events or other transferable experience. This person will take overall responsibility for operational delivery and support the strategic development of Breaking Barriers’ volunteering programmes so that we can improve and expand our support for refugee clients.
£28,000 – £30,000 per year
Location: London / Greater London
Position: Permanent, Full-time
The Volunteer Manager will take overall responsibility for operational delivery and support the strategic development of Breaking Barriers’ volunteering programmes so that we can improve and expand our support for refugee clients. Volunteers are fundamental to the support Breaking Barriers provides. Skilled volunteers deliver face-to-face employment support, volunteer teachers and corporate volunteers are central to our Education programmes and partnerships with businesses, and operations volunteers support our day-to-day office activity.
This is an exciting opportunity to shape the development of our volunteering programmes and see and feel the impact of your work on a daily basis. You will be a font of knowledge on volunteering, working closely with the Employment, Education and Corporate Partnerships teams to recruit and retain volunteers, and continue to improve standards in our volunteer involvement. You will work to increase diversity and inclusion in the volunteer programme, increasing the involvement of clients in volunteer initiatives, and will be involved in the development of new programmes and initiatives as Breaking Barriers continues to innovate and improve sustainably.
This role is for someone who can hit the ground running and is not afraid to get their hands dirty – as you develop and refine our current processes (including administrative processes) you will be initially supported by interns and volunteers though there will be occasions where you’ll need to carry out the day-to-day work yourself. This role will assume line management responsibilities of an administrative role when funding is secured so that day-to-day operational tasks can be delegated.
- Management of volunteering programmes
- Implementation of volunteering strategy
- Recruitment and retention of volunteers
- Monitoring and evaluation of volunteering programmes
- Ensuring quality and safety of programme
- Processing volunteer applications
- Design and delivery of volunteer inductions and training
- Coordination and administration of volunteer programmes
- Leading other projects and initiatives, including the Ambassador Council (an advisory board of former and current clients)
Required skills and experience
- Demonstrable understanding of volunteering in the charity sector and good practice in volunteer management.
- 3+ years’ experience in volunteer, events or programme management, or other transferrable experience.
- Experience of line management and/or being directly responsible for supervising staff or volunteers.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Excellent communicator.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: able to build strong relationships internally and externally, and work as part of a team.
- Highly organised with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities, meet deadlines and adapt to a changing and fast-paced working environment.
- Confident working autonomously.
- Good level of numeracy and confident working with data.