Job Title: Philanthropy Manager
Reports to: Senior Philanthropy Manager
Language Requirements: Fluent English
Location: Old Street, London
Salary: £30,000 – £35,000
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing Date: Rolling
Founded in 2015, Breaking Barriers is a fast-paced, start-up charity with a mission to help refugees in London gain the knowledge, confidence and experience to secure stable and fulfilling employment in their new home.
We offer effective and flexible employment support in direct partnership with businesses that help refugees secure work, progress into better jobs, and successfully integrate into UK society. We have a unique approach, working with corporate partners to help refugees develop careers that match their skills, experience and aspirations.
Since Breaking Barriers’ inception just four years ago, we have grown to support in excess of 500 refugees per year and have ambitious plans to expand this as part of our strategic plan. We concentrate on getting things done in a flexible environment where everyone is encouraged to take ownership and contribute.
We are a team of over 20 employees supported by several hundred volunteers, who are all driven and committed to helping London’s refugee community. We are looking for similarly driven and ambitious individuals keen to join an enterprising organisation where they can benefit from the opportunity to innovate and shape the direction of the charity. Colleagues who thrive are passionate, driven and have the confidence to work autonomously while remaining team players and sharing credit with all involved.
We are looking for someone who lives and breathes our values:
- Mission-led: our clients come before everything else.
- Welcoming: we want all people to feel happy, comfortable and secure with us.
- Collaborative: we are supportive and considerate, curiously exploring other viewpoints to find solutions.
- Enterprising: we are discerningly bold, entrepreneurial and have the courage to give things a go.
- Manage a portfolio of trusts and foundations and individual philanthropists, providing excellent stewardship and personalised relationship management
- Undertake research and networking to identify new prospects
- Manage and continually develop a pipeline of existing and new prospects
- Plan, write and submit compelling applications to trusts and proposals to individual philanthropists based on a clear understanding of Breaking Barriers’ programmes, funding needs and specific donor requirements
- Represent Breaking Barriers at a range of external events including networking and fundraising events and donor meetings
- Develop and deliver tailored solicitation and stewardship plans for trusts and individuals, including attending meetings and hosting visits to Breaking Barriers delivery centres
- Manage the reporting requirements for a range of grants and donations from trusts and foundations and individual philanthropists
- Ensure that the required evidence for impact reporting to donors is collated from delivery personnel in an effective manner to ensure deadlines are met
- Work closely with colleagues in the Philanthropy team to contribute to the development and delivery of the team’s strategy
- Input and contribute to the development of the Philanthropy Team’s pipeline, monitoring income and delivering income growth to feed into the organisational budget
- Lead the stewardship process for regular and online donors, including thanking in a timely manner and developing new and interesting ways to engage this audience
- Work closely with the Corporate Partnerships Team to identify opportunities to build cross-team networks
- Manage the research and writing for the case for support and ensure that it is regularly kept up to date
- Provide support to senior staff in preparation for donor opportunities, including concise briefing materials in advance of meetings
- Coordinate and work closely with the Communications Team to develop and deliver tailored communications and fundraising strategies for social media, the Philanthropy Team’s website page and annual report
- Undertake any other duties that may reasonably be required within the scope of this role
- Experience in high value fundraising
- Experience compiling and submitting successful applications to philanthropists, trusts and foundations
- Experience securing five figure gifts, including making successful face to face asks
- A successful track record as part of a relationship management and fundraising team
- Experience of working to targets and developing long-term strategies for philanthropic support
- A good working knowledge of the charitable sector
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- The ability to process complex information and relay this to a variety of audiences both verbally and in written communication
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact confidently and with diplomacy both internally and externally
- Highly organised with the ability to manage multiple competing priorities, meet deadlines and adapt to a changing and fast-paced working environment.
- Knowledge of the principles of Major Donor and Relationship Fundraising
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Knowledge of GDPR and other fundraising regulations in relation to high value fundraising
- Demonstrable knowledge and interest in the refugee sector
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Previous experience developing a mid-value giving or online/digital fundraising programme
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with the intention that the successful applicant will start as soon as possible after 2nd January 2020.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
Breaking Barriers particularly welcomes applicants with experience of migration and/or a refugee background.