Breaking Barriers is committed to learning and improvement and strives to maintain the highest standards across all our work.
However, we recognise we can sometimes get things wrong despite our best intentions, and we value all feedback as a chance to improve.
If you’d like to make a complaint about any aspect of Breaking Barriers’ work, please be assured that we will take your concern seriously and work hard to investigate and resolve it.
How do I make a complaint?
You can email or post us information about your complaint using the following contact details:
- Fundraising complaints (email): Andrew Fordham, Head of Development, [email protected]. Please note there is a separate fundraising complaints procedure, which you can see here
- Service delivery (email): Helen Mebrate, Head of Programmes, [email protected]
- All other complaints (email): Anna Simons, Head of People, Projects and Strategy, [email protected]
- All other complaints (post): WeWork, Aldwych House, 71-91 Aldwych, London, WC2B 4HN
- All other complaints (phone): 020 4541 0155
In your correspondence please include:
- Your name and contact details (although we understand that you may wish to complain anonymously*)
- The reason for your complaint
- The date(s) and time(s) of your complaint (if applicable/possible)
- The name(s) of anyone involved (if known)
- What outcome you are hoping for
*If you’re submitting an anonymous complaint, please be assured that Breaking Barriers will investigate it and use the information provided to improve in any way we can, but we will be unable to advise you of the outcome. We maintain a log of all complaints raised, including information about you as the complainant (if details are provided). If you would like further information, of have any concerns about the information we may hold about you, please refer to our Data Protection Policy.
What happens next?
We will apply our formal complaints process – gathering all information to log the complaint and investigate it, bringing it to the attention of our Senior Leadership Team and Board of Trustees where needed.
How long will it take?
We will acknowledge receipt of your complaint within 5 working days and aim to respond to it within a further 10 working days from the acknowledgement date.1 Our response will outline the outcome of the investigation and what, if any, changes we will make as a result.
What if I’m unhappy with my response?
You can ask for the matter to be escalated to our CEO/Board of Trustees (depending on the level it was reviewed at before). In such cases, a full response will be provided within a further 10 working days.
Who else can help?
We strive to resolve your complaint in an honest, sensitive and satisfactory way, but if you are unhappy with your response there are further routes for escalating your concern:
- The Fundraising regulator
- You can fill out the complaints form on their website or call 0300 999 3407
All other complaints
- The Charity Commission
- PO Box 1227, Liverpool, L69 3UG
- 0845 3000 218
Breaking Barriers is regulated by the Fundraising Regulator (FR), the independent regulator of charity fundraising. The FR sets and promotes the standards for all fundraising activity, known as the ‘Code of Fundraising Practice’.