Emma has been using her knowledge as a lawyer to help refugees break into the legal sector.
Interpreters attend appointments, which enables any refugees with lower levels of English to receive our full support. Our translators support us to translate crucial documents into different languages, which increases the accessibility of our resources for refugees.
“It’s often very humbling to hear about the breadth and depth of their (refugees) education and their impressive past careers, and it’s inspiring to see how hard they are willing to work to create new lives and careers for themselves after overcoming significant challenges and adversity.
Emma - advice and guidance volunteer
Should I apply as an interpreter/translator volunteer if I do not speak one of your target languages?
Yes! While there are some languages we are consistently recruiting for, we have supported people from over 60 countries. Our clients’ needs are always evolving, and we welcome applications from people who are fluent in English and any other languages to support us in making our services more accessible.
- We encourage anyone to apply for this volunteer opportunity if they are fluent in English and any other language. Some languages that are always in high demand are:
- Computer literate and access to a laptop or computer with webcam
- Clear communication skills
- Alignment with our mission to help refugees acquire the knowledge, confidence and experience to get stable, fulfilling employment.
- Ad hoc
- A typical interpreting appointment lasts for 1.5 hours
- Translation timings depend on type and number of documents
- Please note, volunteering takes place Monday-Friday, 9am – 5:30pm.
Roles can be remote and/or at one of offices:
- London (head office): WeWork, 71-91 Aldwych, London WC2B 4HN
- Manchester: Landmark Office Space, Chancery Place, 50 Brown Street, Manchester,M2 2JG
- Birmingham: Landmark, 2 Snow Hill Queensway, Birmingham, B4 6GA
Benefits of volunteering
- Have a genuine impact on Breaking Barriers and the lives of refugees
- Increase understanding of the barriers refugees face in accessing employment in the UK
- Develop your knowledge and skills
- Gain an insight into how Breaking Barriers works
- Be part of an innovative charity that is growing all the time
- Meet other like-minded volunteers
- Full induction and training provided.